National Council against Racism and Intolerance
The National Council against Racism and Intolerance was established by Law 4356/2015 (Government Gazette A 181/24.12.2015). It is a collective body providing advice and opinions and comes under the General Secretariat for Human Rights of the Ministry of Justice, Transparency and Human Rights. It was constituted by virtue of decision 83559/15οικ./10.03.2016 (ΑΔΑ: 69ΤΒΩ-7ΑΟ) of the Minister of Justice, Transparency and Human Rights.
Pursuant to the law, the Council has the power to:
- Design policies to prevent and combat racism and intolerance in order to ensure the protection of persons and groups that become targets due to race, colour, national or ethnic origin, genealogy, social origin, religious or other beliefs, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression;
- Supervise the implementation of the laws against racism and intolerance and the compliance thereof with international and European laws; and
- Promote and coordinate the activities of involved bodies for more effectively addressing the phenomenon and boost cooperation with civic society in such matters.
The regular and alternate members of the NCRI are nominated by the competent Ministers and bodies on the basis of their expertise in matters relating to racism or their powers. Specifically, the Hellenic Police representative and his alternate are nominated by the Chief of Hellenic Police and come from an agency competent to combat racist violence. Its members are:
Body-Agency Regular Member Alternate General Secretariat for Justice and Human Rights, Ministry of Justice Panos Alexandris
General Secretary for Justice and Human Rights
Ministry of Citizen Protection Zoi Nasika Margarita Kalaitzaki Ministry of Education and Religions Affairs Maria Fassari Eirini Gyftaki Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ilias Kastanas Eliza Chatzimichalarou Ministry of Justice Theofilos Tsagris Elyna Kaplani Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs Theodora Stathopoulou Georgios Bakas Hellenic Police Konstantinos Retsas Ioannis Stasinopoulos National Council for Radio and Television Georgios Pleios Popi (Kalliopi) Diamantakou National Commission for Human Rights Marina Matha-Galanou Aikaterini Pournara UN High Commission for Refugees Dafni Kapetanaki Evanthia (Eva) Savvopoulou Racist Violence Recording Network Eleni Takou Alexandra Panagiotakopoulou, Ivet Tzaky Ampoulimen National Confederation of Persons with Disabilities Ioannis Vardakastanis Dimitrios Logaras Athens Journalists Union Ariadni Agatsa Efthymios (Makis) Diogos Research Centre for Gender Equality Theodosia Tantarou-Kringou Ifigeneia-Xanthippi Kartsiotou General Confederation of Greek Workers Elli Varchalama Despoina Bampanelou Ombudsman Kalliopi Lykovardi Dimitra Mytilinaiou
- TV spot of the Research Centre for Gender Equality, in its capacity of member of the National Council against Racism and Intolerance, relating to the integration of refugee children in public education. It was broadcast as a “social message” (as characterised by the National Council for Radio and Television) on nation-wide public and private TV channels;
- TV spot of the National Council against Racism and Intolerance for the World Refugee Day (20 June);
- Brochure of the National Council against Racism and Intolerance on “Public Administration in the face of racist crime”.
Developing a comprehensive strategy against racism, intolerance and hate crime
Within the framework of Rights Equality and Citizenship Program 2014-2020 (REC) of the European Commission, the Ministry of Justice, the Hellenic Parliament and Panteion University are implementing the project «Developing a comprehensive strategy against racism, intolerance and hate crime — HC».
The main objective of the project is to develop a comprehensive strategy against racism and intolerance with the aim of increasing the number of hate crime referrals, promoting the rights of victims of relevant crimes, raising public awareness, and prosecuting hate crimes more effectively.
Duration: 24 months
1) National Action Plan against Racism and Intolerance
2) Awareness raising - Publicity
3) Capacity and Trust Building