The National Council against Racism and Intolerance was established by Law 4356/2015 (Government Gazette A 181/24.12.2015). It is a collective body providing advice and opinions and comes under the General Secretariat for Human Rights of the Ministry of Justice, Transparency and Human Rights. It was constituted by virtue of decision 83559/15οικ./10.03.2016 (ΑΔΑ: 69ΤΒΩ-7ΑΟ) of the Minister of Justice, Transparency and Human Rights.
Pursuant to the law, the Council has the power to:
- Design policies to prevent and combat racism and intolerance in order to ensure the protection of persons and groups that become targets due to race, colour, national or ethnic origin, genealogy, social origin, religious or other beliefs, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression;
- Supervise the implementation of the laws against racism and intolerance and the compliance thereof with international and European laws; and
- Promote and coordinate the activities of involved bodies for more effectively addressing the phenomenon and boost cooperation with civic society in such matters.
The regular and alternate members of the NCRI are nominated by the competent Ministers and bodies on the basis of their expertise in matters relating to racism or their powers. Specifically, the Hellenic Police representative and his alternate are nominated by the Chief of Hellenic Police and come from an agency competent to combat racist violence. Its members are:
Body-Agency Regular Member Alternate General Secretariat for Human Rights, Ministry of Justice, Transparency and Human Rights Maria Giannakaki
General Secretary for Human Rights
Ministry of Migration Policy Athanasios Vitsentzatos Sotiria Kasnakoudi Ministry of Education, Research and Religions Affairs Maria Fassari Nikolaos Papathanasopoulos Ministry of Foreign Affairs Iraklis Moskof Ilias Kastanas Ministry of Justice, Transparency and Human Rights Theofilos Tsagris Elyna Kaplani Ministry of Labour, Social Security and Social Solidarity Theodora Stathopoulou Dimitra Nikou Hellenic Police Headquarters Dimosthenis Katsiavaras Michail Lolis Migrant Integration Council, Municipality of Athens Lefteris Papagiannakis Moavia Ahmet National Commission for Human Rights Vasiliki Georgiadou Eleni Spathana UN High Commission for Refugees Dafni Kapetanaki Styliani Nanou Racist Violence Recording Network Stamatia Stavrinaki Yonus Mohamadi Racist Violence Recording Network Eva Giannakaki Filippos Paganis National Confederation of Persons with Disabilities Ioannis Vardakastanis Dimitrios Logaras Athens Journalists Union Haris Savvidis Eleftheria Koumantou Research Centre for Gender Equality Irini-Eleni Agathopoulou Markos Hatzisavvas General Confederation of Greek Workers Elli Varchalama Despoina Babanelou Supreme Administration of Greek Civil Servants Trade Unions Antonis Karavas Sotiria Dalla National Council for Radio and Television Nikolaos Kiaos Kalliopi Diamantakou
Moreover, Ms. Kalliopi Lykovardi and Ms. Dimitra Mytilinaiou are invited to attend and participate in the meetings of the Council, in their capacity of Ombudsman representatives pursuant to article 16§4 of Law 4356/2015.
- TV spot of the Research Centre for Gender Equality, in its capacity of member of the National Council against Racism and Intolerance, relating to the integration of refugee children in public education. It was broadcast as a “social message” (as characterised by the National Council for Radio and Television) on nation-wide public and private TV channels;
- TV spot of the National Council against Racism and Intolerance for the World Refugee Day (20 June);
- Brochure of the National Council against Racism and Intolerance on “Public Administration in the face of racist crime”.